My poor blog. It's been MONTHS, I know, and it had been a threadbare year to boot. It's really wild how long it's taken me to feel unfoggy and get back in stride again. I kind of didn't believe it when a friend said that when she lost her mother, it took her a year to get back to normal. It's been over 6 months since my mom passed. And I still ponder it. And if you've been "lucky" to hear my stories, you know it's been a long number of years with the most intense culminating in the last few, with 2013 being quite the hands-on doozy. Oddly, it was different when my dad passed away over 14 years ago. Granted my daughter was born less than a month later, so I was incredibly occupied, but it wasn't nearly as crippling. But yes, I ponder his life too at times.
Anyway there is a part of me that feel like Rip Van Winkle and I'm finally snapping out of an anesthetized fog. Like I had been watching things happening and I'm finally able to react. A few observations:
- Football season 2013 was utter POOP for me this year. Totally bottomed out in the office pool and in my fantasy league. In fact I was awarded the "Psychotherapist Award" in my fantasy league this season because "everyone felt better about themselves after playing my team". Next season, I plan on being much more on top of it. Plus I'm commissioner of my fantasy league and already implementing new rules already, like money upfront. See? I'm getting back in the saddle with a vengeance.
- Psyched that Michigan State won the Rose Bowl and was hoping for a NCAA basketball championship as well, but alas, that didn't happen. Now I'm stuck rooting for UConn, who beat Michigan State, to beat Florida to win my March Madness pool. Go Huskies! (Ouch.)
- WHAT THE HECK happened to that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370?!
- I am my heaviest non-pregnant weight. I think I hit 170 and now around 164. For reference, last year I was 153. For another reference, my goal for the last couple of years has been to break 150. Now I'm trying to break 160. Yikes. Yes I give myself slack that it had been a "rough year" but I'm ready to get back on track.
- I made the realization I am an old lady. I know I had been heading in that direction when I would look at food labels to see how much FIBER was in a food versus looking at the fat and calories of my more (perceived) lithesome youth. But I recently caught my first full episode of "Freaks and Geeks" and knew I wasn't even a kid in spirit because I totally side with the PARENTS in this show. Seriously--Lindsay giving up the Academic Summit to follow the Grateful Dead for 2 weeks?! AAAAIGGHHH! I totally looked at my girl and said, "Isn't that ridiculous?! AMIRITE?!"
- Really glad "12 Years a Slave" won Best Picture. Though I will also confess that one of other favorite movies of 2013 is "Battle of the Year"--the epic BOTY scene at the end is my fave.
Okay, I hope this is a good start for me to get back into my blog.